Search
Affiliates
free forum

[Discussion] Computer Languages

View previous topic View next topic Go down

[Discussion] Computer Languages

Post by Sm0ke on Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:14 am

What's up DAFO,

I'm wondering about your opinion about computer languages. Post your experience/opinion below.

Primary differences:

Spoiler:
The primary difference between a "programming language" (C, C++, VB etc.) and a "scripting language" (PHP, ASP, JSP, JavaScript, VBScript)is that code written in a programming language needs to be compiled before it is run. Once it is compiled, it can be run any number of times.

Scripting languages, on the other hand, are interpreted at run-time. This means that every time you want to run the program, a separate program needs to read the code, interpret it, and then follow the instructions in the code. Compiled code has already been interpreted into machine language, so it is will typically execute faster because the conversion into machine language has already been done.

Markup languages (HTML, XML) are somewhat different from both of the others. A markup language is simply a set of tags that are used to "mark up" text documents so that sections of text can be logically arranged and labeled. These documents can be viewed as plain text, or, more commonly, are viewed through a browser. The browser parses the document, looking for markup tags, and it then arranges the text and/or formats it according to the values in the tags.

High and low level programming languages
Spoiler:
High level programming languages are more structured, are closer to spoken language and are more intuitive than low level languages. Higher level languages are also easier to read and can typically sometimes work on many different computer operating systems. Some examples of higher level languages are Java, Visual Basic, COBOL, BASIC, C++, and Pascal to name only a few. Lower level languages are typically assembly languages that are machine specific.

Computers run instructions at the binary level, interpreting zeros and ones as instructions. Rather than writing programming code at this level, we've developed languages that compile into the zeros and ones that computers understand. As these languages become more robust, they get further and further way from zeros and ones, becoming higher level languages.

Today's object oriented computer languages allow developers to mimic the real world with objects in code.

To use an analogy, high level programming languages are to spoken languages as low level languages are to Morse code. Morse code is not limited in what it can communicate, but it's not as intuitive or easy to use as spoken language.

Yes and Also... High Level Programming falls in the Area of OOP/Object Oriented Programming. They were design to get much out of Programming, more complexity, flexibility, in a presentation, in Simplicity.

There was a time where all Programming was done in Machine Lanuages, which I can imagine... Gave Programmers a big Headache. Then b, was created then C, Then after awhile C++ Was created which was an adon to C, Making it High Level OOP.

All though not all High level Programming is OOP. OOP Has to have .

Polymorphism.

Encapsulation

etc etc....

Well Not all High Level Programming is OOP. PHP, PERL, RUBY, Which fall in the lines of ''Interpert'' languages, and differ from OOP. Anyway Low Levels actuially refer to The actual Memory, how the CPU Reads, and executes Data. High Levels Are powerful languages, but are presented in ''Human readable Codes'' Defining Variable Names, etc etc.

Credits: Answer.com and Answerbag.com
Sm0ke

Back to top Go down

Re: [Discussion] Computer Languages

Post by Dami on Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:21 am

This is close to the essey which i wrote before i finished my school.
Basicly this would have been the 1st page, but i was comparing the differences and reasons for asm usage than something else.
Dami
Dragon
Dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by chris4life on Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:38 pm

yeh learning C++ is hard

chris4life
BanHammered
BanHammered

Back to top Go down